I want to be like uncle Karl

In my previous post, I mentioned that I'm learning a lot of new stuff lately. So, what is it?

Actually, I'm trying to learn tools from ALT.NET toolbox. While I was always leaning towards software architecture, following Framework Design Guidelines and "best practices", reading and learning about new things in .NET community, somehow I've managed to avoid using things like Unit Testing, O/RM (I'm CSLA.NET guy :) and other I consider to be invaluable to software developer. Reading blogs like Ayende's, Roy's or Jeremy's, just to mention a few, always made me feel inferior, and that was a good thing. The first step to knowledge is acknowledging that "I know that I know nothing" :)

The series of posts that really inspired me was Karl Seguin's Foundation of Programming, also available as an ebook. I even made a New Year (2008) resolution to "be like uncle Karl" :)

Few months have passed without pursuing my goals, because of work / school obligations, and finally a month ago, I was asked to do a business application for my friend Branko's family business. It was a great, no time pressure, opportunity to learn, so I accepted.

Together with my friends Boris and Branko (yeah, the same Branko from above :) I started the journey. We have prepared application requirements, started learning NHibernate, Unit Testing (NUnit), validation (VAB), improving our WPF and of course implementing all that to the application.

The application is going along nicely. I'll try to post more about it in the following posts.


0 comments:

Post a Comment